PHC through the years
1820 PHC previously The Adult Orphan Institution (AOI) opened at 32 Mornington Place (Hampstead Road) with 16 pupils. It was founded by Princess Augusta and Mrs Sophia Williams, to educate orphaned girls whose fathers had been in the Services or Church and had died.
1824 The school moved to 11 St Andrew's Place, Regent's Park, designed by John Nash.
1838 Queen Victoria became Patron.
1874 Princess Helena, third daughter of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, became President of the College.
1879 The AOI became Princess Helena College for Young Ladies and High School for Girls.
1880 Name changed to Princess Helena College.
1881 Prince Leopold of Albany laid the foundation stone for the new school to be built in Ealing, in the walls of the present school underneath Arches.
1882 PHC moved to Ealing from Regent's Park, and was officially opened by Princess Helena.
1886 The Royal Charter was granted.
1887 The marble bust of Queen Victoria was acquired.
1888 Lacrosse was introduced (first girls school in England).
1897 PHC (Old Girls' Association) now PHC Alumnae was started.
1902 PHC’s motto adopted, ‘Fortis qui se vincit’ - 'Strong is she who conquers herself.'
1920 PHC's 100th birthday.
1923 Princess Helena died aged 77. Princess Helena's daughter, Princess Helena Victoria became President.
1935 PHC moved from Ealing to Temple Dinsley because London was growing and Ealing was no longer a village.
1938 The house system was introduced: Gloucester, Windsor and York.
1947 The Duchess of Gloucester succeeded Princess Helena Victoria as President.
1952 HM The Queen became Patron.
1992 The Dower House was refurbished and visited by HRH Duchess of Gloucester on June 1st and the Princess Alice Hall was built.
1995 PHC celebrated its 175th anniversary with a service at Westminster Abbey.
2000 HRH Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester died and was succeeded as President by her daughter in law, the present Duchess of Gloucester
2003 New Science Centre and Art Centre opened by HRH the Duchess of Gloucester.
2014 The Orchard replanted.
2015 PHC representatives celebrated the Queen's Patron's Diamond Jubilee at the Lunch on The Mall.
2016 Development of a new Performing Arts centre begun.
2017 Visit of HRH The Duchess of Gloucester to dedicate the foundation stone for the new PA Centre, plant a rose in the replanted rose garden and to open the Heritage Wall.